La Comunidad Hispana (LCH) offers a comprehensive scope of healthcare, social services, outreach, and education programs to low-income, underserved families living and working in Southern Chester County. As a Federally Qualified Health Center and Patient-Centered Medical Home, LCH provides fully integrated person-centered care in a bilingual and bicultural environment that encourages compliance and fosters improved patient outcomes. Using a holistic approach to care, LCH changes lives by serving southern Chester County as the leading provider of integrated health and community services.
The primary function of the Medical Assistant is to assist the clinician in the provision of healthcare services to the client and to act as an advocate for the client. The Medical Assistant collects health information, performs phlebotomy and vital signs, assists with procedures as required, and records medical data in the electronic health record. Medical Assistants as a team are responsible for patient flow, and health center duties including stocking rooms, maintaining inventory, medical supplies and medical equipment, and performing quality assurance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the provision of quality and culturally competent primary care and women’s healthcare services to insured and non-insured clients and their families.
- Interview clients regarding real and potential health problems with regard to life-style behaviors, psychosocial risk factors, occupational hazards, and genetic predisposition; provide referral as needed.
- Follow-up of clients having normal lab or imaging results.
- Follow-up of clients / referral to specialty services.
- Perform medical procedures such as ECG, Spirometry, Pulse oximetry, Peak flow testing, nebulizers, Hemocue, finger stick, Strep test, PPD, and phlebotomy.
- Performs client preparation including eliciting chief complaint and conducting health history interview
- Participate in daily huddles with provider.
- Participate in community outreach and education programs as requested.
- Assure confidentiality of patient information in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Performs health center duties and responsibilities as required including maintaining equipment, supplies, and performing quality assurance activities.
- Participate in regular staff meetings: Health Center Staff meetings; LCH All Staff meetings, other committee meetings as required or appropriate.
- Provide translation for medical providers.
- Maintains regular attendance; performs all duties in a timely manner; Attends all meetings as scheduled and/or directed by supervisor or CEO.
- Follows all LCH procedures and adhere to policies as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Collaborates with staff of all LCH programs as appropriate to ensure efficient integration of services and support.
- Respects confidentiality at all times.
- Full-time Medical Assistants are required to work a minimum of one evening a week.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Job description subject to review and may change based on business necessity.
- Graduate from an institution recognized to be a provider of Medical Assistant curricular content consistent with the standards set forth by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES).
- Holds current or eligible for MA certification in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- 2-3 years clinical experience in a direct healthcare setting is preferred.
- Public Health/ Community health experience is preferred.
- Experience working with a second culture is preferred.
- Holds Current CPR certification.
- Bilingual: proficiency in English and Spanish required.
- Proficiency in office-based applications: EMR (experience with Centricity preferred), MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Outlook) and Internet use is required.
- Must possess superior organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, and be detail-oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to be a team player.
- Must be capable of employing time-management skills for projects with varying timelines; must be able to work under pressure.
- Customer Service Skills (patient, empathetic, responds to patient’s emotional state, patient interview is pertinent to patient’s visit).
LCH is a culturally competent, bilingual, bicultural agency. Qualified members of the community are encouraged to apply.