Search for a Job
Subscribe to receive eNewsletter
|Our weekly e-mail newsletter is distributed at no charge and includes current healthcare news plus the latest Job Postings.|
|Subscribe • View current eNewsletter|
Upload Your Resume
|Upload your resume and we will forward it to employers whose search criteria best matches your qualifications.|
Job Search Tips & Resources
University of the Incarnate Word
Director of Graduate Medical Education
University of the Incarnate Word is a Catholic institution that welcomes to its community persons of diverse backgrounds, in the belief that their respectful interaction advances the discovery of truth, mutual understanding, self-realization, and the common good.
The Director of Graduate Medical Education (DGME ) reports directly to the Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education, and is responsible for providing leadership and assistance in the development of graduate medical education training sites in the region. The DGME is a key member of the Office of Graduate Medical Education leadership team and in concert with appropriate committees and UIW and SOM policies, coordinates the creation, accreditation, and management of residency and fellowship programs and special projects as assigned by the Dean and Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education. The DGME will operate within the UIWSOM framework of lifelong learning through collaborative scholarship, innovative educational excellence and learner-centered curricula.
We offer Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Vacation and Sick Leave, UIW Tuition Waiver, Tuition Exchange Program, 13 Paid Holidays, Employer-Paid Basic Life/AD&D Insurance 1 X base salary, Employer- Paid Long-Term Disability Insurance, Flexible Spending Account (FSAs) - Medical/Dependent Care, Defined Contribution Retirement Plan (403B), Employee Assistance Program, Free Membership to Wellness Center, and more!
Job Duty Name
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Description of Job Duties
1. Identify opportunities to develop new graduate medical education (GME ) programs in the region and build lasting relationships with physicians, hospitals, practice groups, and administrators to ensure development of high quality programs.
2. Assist with the development and accreditation of new and existing residency, fellowship, and internship programs.
3. Travel as directed to potential and current postgraduate training sites to assist in recruitment, faculty development programs, and coordination with local staff.
4. Provide program support for the development and improvement of GME programs and assist with securing resources to meet the mission, vision, and goals of the program and institution.
5. Direct the continuing development and operations of a GME consortium with UIWSOM as its primary academic member including accreditation, financial, and programmatic issues in coordination with the Associate Dean for GME .
6. Ensure that all accreditation documents are complete in a timely manner for submission to accrediting bodies.
7. Maintain accurate clinical information database for postgraduate training sites and clinical faculty and ensure that GME faculty at affiliated sights are appropriately credentialed, are granted faculty appointments, and are awarded CME credit as appropriate for their service.
8. Provide oversight for the evaluation process, completeness and timeliness of evaluation required of future residents, clinical faculty and clinical sites.
9. Identify opportunities for grant funding and direct the application process.
10. Maintain the database of evaluations of residents, clinical faculty and clinical sites and provide to those with need to know and utilize the information.
11. Assist in oversight and direction of a Continuous Quality Assessment and Improvement process for the GME components of the SOM and its affiliates.
12. Monitor and report regional, national and international trends in graduate medical education.
13. Work with the Assistant Dean for GME in recruitment and credentialing of clinical sites and physicians and ensure that faculty and sites comply with all SOM , regulatory and governmental policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
14. Coordinate and direct special projects as assigned by the Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education.
15. Provide guidance and assistance to GME Director of Medical Education’s Program Directors, administration, faculty and staff of affiliated institutions for all academic, regulatory, legal, and governmental requirements.
16. Serve on or chair UIWSOM committees as assigned by the Dean.
17. Other duties as assigned by the Dean or their designee. Job Duties
Job Duty Name
Description of Job Duties
1. Supervise all residency program coordinators for the Office of Graduate Medical Education.
2. Serve as point of contact for GME staff on all departmental matters
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrate experience, knowledge, skill, and leadership in all aspects of pre-doctoral and post-doctoral medical education.
2. Demonstrate knowledge and versatility in the evaluation and implementation of GME programs, with a willingness and ability to adapt to changing rules and regulations that govern their operation and evaluation.
3. Possess skills for providing administrative oversight, direction, leadership, and motivation for faculty and staff.
4. Outstanding organizational and verbal and written communication skills.
5. Demonstrate intermediate skill level (or better) of data entry knowledge and computer skills including Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, Sharepoint, Adobe, and Outlook.
6. Ability to work with confidential material with an attention to detail.
7. Ability to multi-task and problem solve innovatively, strategically prioritizing resources necessary for program support.
8. Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team-based multi-cultural environment with dean’s staff, peers, and full-time and community-based faculty.
9. Strong conflict resolution skills.
10. Demonstrate effective time management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
11. Commitment to social justice and values-driven graduate medical education.
12. Ability to tolerate exposure to short, intermittent, and/or prolonged periods of sitting and/or standing in performance of job duties.
13. May be required to accomplish job duties using various types of equipment/supplies to include, but not limited to, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, etc.
14. May be required to transport oneself and others to other UIW offices, GME sites, and to off-campus sites to attend meetings, conferences, workshops, seminars, etc.
15. Employee shall adhere to all applicable rules and regulations of the University, the Conference, and the NCAA .
16. Ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures.
Required Work Experience
1. Demonstrated commitment to the UIW social justice mission.
2. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally and work collaboratively in complex interdisciplinary and interprofessional settings.
3. Demonstrated ability to engage, support and lead diverse groups.
4. Minimum 3 years of experience in graduate medical education.
5. AOA or ACGME graduate medical education accreditation experience.
6. Demonstrated success in working with faculty, administrators, staff, residents and students within a higher education learning community both on the UIWSOM campus and in clinical settings.
1. Master’s degree or current work toward completion of Master’s degree.
2. Work experience at a College or School of Osteopathic Medicine.
3. Ability to communicate effectively in both English and Spanish
Required Certifications, Licenses or Registrations
Must hold a valid driver’s license and have a driving history acceptable to the University insurance carrier.
Typically Monday – Friday, 8a-5p with occasional evenings and weekends depending upon the needs of the department.
May involve some travel to different cities within the region.
• Frequent use of hands, vision (e.g. close and color vision and the ability to adjust focus) and hearing.
• Lifting objects not to exceed 25 lbs.; crouching, crawling, standing and sedentary work in an office and/or other learning environments.
Posting Number: AS857PO
Job Type: Full Time
Job Category: Administrator (exempt)
Desired Start Date: 11/01/2019
Reports To: Assistant Dean of Graduate Medical Education
Open Date: 09/21/2019
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1639523
UIW is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in employment, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sex, gender, age, or religion (except in limited circumstances when religious preference is both permitted by law and deemed appropriate as a matter of University policy).
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.