Search for a Job
Subscribe to receive eNewsletter
|Our weekly e-mail newsletter is distributed at no charge and includes current healthcare news plus the latest Job Postings.|
|Subscribe • View current eNewsletter|
Upload Your Resume
|Upload your resume and we will forward it to employers whose search criteria best matches your qualifications.|
Job Search Tips & Resources
College of the Desert
Nursing Instructor, full-time tenure track
Classification Title: Teaching Faculty
Department: Nursing & Allied Health
Tenure Information: Tenure Track
About College of the Desert
College of the Desert (COD ) is located in Palm Desert, California, the geographic center of the beautiful Coachella Valley. Nestled among the backdrop of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto mountains in eastern Riverside County, the Coachella Valley is a resort community that offers over 100 golf courses and a wide array of outdoor activities such as tennis, hiking, horseback riding, hot air ballooning, polo, bicycling, rock climbing and swimming.
Founded in 1958, this two-year public college serves over 400,000 residents of eight local cities and the students of the Palm Springs, Desert Sands and Coachella Valley school districts. College of the Desert offers certificates and two-year Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees.
The College serves over 15,000 students. COD is a federally recognized Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI ), with almost 70% of the student body identifying as Hispanic. The Coachella Valley community recently passed a $577 million bond measure, allowing for College of the Desert to improve its current facilities and expand its campus locations. These improvements and expansion will assist with College of the Desert's goals of providing an education to students inside and outside of the Coachella Valley.
About the Department
The Nursing Department has a long history of graduating students who provide safe, compassionate, and holistic health care for individuals in the Coachella valley and beyond. Nursing faculty serve as not only teachers but mentors, coaches, and role models for the professional practice of nursing.
Under administrative leadership, it is the responsibility of the instructor to participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of educational programs, courses, and other experiences that will directly result in the educational growth of the students and support advancement of the vision, mission, and values of the community college district.
Classroom environment and faculty office environment.
Classes may be held at all campus locations, Palm Desert, Indio, Mecca-Thermal, Palm Springs, and/or Desert Hot Springs. Classes may be scheduled during the day, evening, or weekend.
For more information about College of the Desert, clickhttp://collegeofthedesert.edu/aboutus/Pages/default.aspx.
Click the http://collegeofthedesert.edu/community/pres/Pages/default.aspx to read President's Message.
A. Classroom responsibilities
1. Meet classes/laboratories on day and times assigned.
2. Develop and implement instruction for each class/laboratory period which is consistent with the official course outline.
3. Develop and distribute the first week of class, a written syllabus for each course to communicate to students course objectives, grading criteria, and classroom policies.
4. Demonstrate respect for student rights as specified in District policy and applicable laws.
5. Submit requisitions for textbooks and instructional materials in a timely manner.
6. Refer students to tutoring and related student services when appropriate.
7. Supervise student in off-campus activities when participation is expected as part of a course requirement or where such supervision is part of the instructors load.
8. Provide academic assistance and related services to students during scheduled office hours.
B. Evaluation of Students
1. Evaluate students’ progress toward meeting course objectives; advise the students of course objectives, methods of evaluation and the results of the evaluation.
2. Return assignments and examination results in a timely fashion.
3. Assign grades to students in the manner provided by District policy and administrative procedure and prescribed by the Education Code and Title V regulations for the State of California.
4. Participate in the credit by examination program where applicable.
5. Submit required administrative paperwork, including grade report forms, in a timely and accurate manner.
1. Participate in the development and review of curriculum as needed.
2. Participate in the development of alternative teaching modalities.
D. Student Advising
1. Advise enrolled students on such matters as:
a. Course content, scope, and meaning.
b. Major course requirements for the degree or certificate.
c. Learning skills
d. Collateral or enrichment reading or experience opportunities for further understanding of the courses or subject field.
e. Career alternative/opportunities related to the subject field.
2. Participate as a Faculty Advisor to student organizations or clubs.
E. Professional Development
1. Participate in required professional development activities.
2. Continue to develop professional skills and knowledge.
3. Participate in planning staff development programs.
4. Participate in institutional research activities and grants.
5. Attend/participate in professional conferences, seminars, or meetings.
F. Additional Responsibilities
1. Schedule, announce to students in all classes, and maintain office hours.
2. Attend and participate in department/center meetings.
3. Attend commencement ceremony.
4. Participate in the process of Shared Governance by contributing to the academic community through committee work on the department, division, college and/or district level, or participate in other significant non-classroom college, district, or community activities.
5. Keep official records required by District policy and administrative procedures and submit them in accordance with college procedures.
6. Participate in supervision of student assistants and paraprofessionals.
7. Participate in articulation activities and the coordination of inter-divisional and intra-divisional learning activities.
8. Abide by departmental regulations concerning the proper use, care, and security of equipment.
9. Advise administration of unsafe conditions or potential hazards and recommend solutions.
10. Participate in advisory committee meetings as required.
11. Consult with management on personnel needs; assist with position announcements, recruitment, and screening/interviewing committees.
12. Participate in the tenure review process as assigned.
13. Participate in the evaluation of regular faculty and adjunct faculty as assigned.
14. Participate in mentoring of new faculty as assigned.
15. Fulfill all obligations as established in the current collective bargaining agreement.
• Master’s in nursing OR Bachelor’s in nursing AND Master’s in health education or health science OR the equivalent OR the minimum qualifications as set by the Board of Registered Nursing, whichever is higher.
• Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
BOARD OF REGISTERED NURSING REQUIREMENTS :
1. Master’s or higher degree, which includes course work in nursing,
education or administration.
2. Direct patient care experience within the previous five (5) years in the
nursing areas (geriatrics, medical-surgical, mental-health/psychiatric nursing, obstetrics, or pediatrics) to which the faculty is assigned, that can be met either one of the following:
• (A) One (1) year’s continuous, full-time or its equivalent experience
providing direct patient care as a registered nurse in the designated nursing
• (B) One (1) academic year of registered nurse level clinical teaching experience in the designated nursing area or its equivalent that demonstrate clinical competency; and
3. Validated clinical competence. “Clinically competent” as defined in section 1420(d), which means that a nursing program faculty member possesses and exercises the degree of learning, skill, care and experience
ordinarily possessed and exercised by staff level registered nurses of the nursing area to which the faculty member is assigned.
4. The equivalent of one (1) year’s teaching experience can be met by:
• (A) teaching in a pre- or post-licensure registered nursing program for one academic year; or
• (B) completion of a post-baccalaureate registered nursing educational course
that includes practice in teaching registered nursing given by an accredited college or nursing school. The course includes teaching strategies, course outline and lesson plan development, evaluation, and practice teaching.
Salary Range/Rate: Commensurate on experience/education
Salary Detail Information: Salary Placement is according to the Full time Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement. Minimum Master level starting rate is $ 7,460.32 per month for an annual 10-month assignment. Maximum starting salary with a doctorate and significant instructional experience is $ 9,576.66 per month for a 10-month annual assignment. This is a 10 month per year full-time tenure-track position. For more information on salary placement please see the http://www.collegeofthedesert.edu/fs/hr/Bargaining%20Unit%20Contracts/CODFA%20CBA%202013-2015.pdf and http://www.collegeofthedesert.edu/fs/hr/Salary%20Schedules%20and%20Position/Full%20Time%20Faculty%20Salary%20Schedules%202018-2019.pdf.
Posting Number: 19-623-F
Open Date: 09/27/2019
Close Date: 10/27/2019
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
REQUIRED ATTACHMENTS :
Applications missing any of the required documents listed will not be considered. The following documents are required at the time of application:
• Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV): Must include length of employment (month/year start & end dates) for each employer.
• Cover Letter: Please address how you meet the minimum requirements for this position and any special qualifications you possess.
• Unofficial Transcripts: Must be from an accredited institution, show name of institution, degree awarded, discipline, and date awarded. Diplomas will not be accepted in lieu of the required transcripts.
IN YOUR APPLICATION
• References: The List of Professional References should include at least two current or previous supervisors, two faculty members, and two other references not related to the applicant (including classified support staff). Please include names, e-mail addresses and current telephone numbers for each professional reference in your application. Applicants from sectors other than higher education should submit comparable references. Letters of reference will not be accepted in lieu of the required List of Professional References.
To apply, visit: https://apptrkr.com/1641556
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.