Home » Job Board » NJ »
Staff R.N. - Operating Room
Location: Hamilton ,
Job Description: HAMILTON SURGERY CENTER
HAMILTON SURGERY CENTER
Effective Date: January 19, 2005
Revision Date: February 22, 2018
Policy Number: HR000400i
Job Description: Staff R.N. - Operating Room
Reference/Standard: Joint Commission 2020/ NJ Reg 8:43A-3.5
Plan, coordinate, oversee and provide patient care in the operating room within state standards of practice and the policies of the Surgery Center. Make decisions regard ing direct patient care needs and communicate appropriate information to other team members. Help maintain equipment, supplies, and the cleanliness and efficiency of the Surgery Center.
The Operating Room Staff R.N. reports to the Clinical Manager. In the absence of the Clinical Manager, the Operating Room Staff R.N. reports to the Clinical Director and/or Administrator.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Understand and prioritize customer requirements;
• Know and adhere to all policies and procedures of the center;
• Plan, implement, and evaluate intraoperative nursing care for patients of all ages based on individual and specific patient needs;
• Document care appropriately and fully ;
• Maintain and demonstrate current skills and knowledge of medication administration and effects, patient assessment, arrhythmia detection, patient teaching, emotional/social support of patients and families and other needed clinical competencies;
• Follow OSHA guidelines for blood borne pathogens and body flu ids and communicable disease;
• Follow AORN standards for care of the perioperative patient;
• Use good body mechanics and aseptic technique ;
• Help turnover every room during every turnover when available;
• "If you hear it; you own it" - Respond and follow-up on surgeon supply and equipment requests;
• Demonstrate fiscal responsibility;
• Seek involvement I actively participate in activities that promote professional growth and performance improvement;
• Be willing to learn and rotate to other processes/areas when/where needed;
• Maintain an open line of communication with the Clinical Director, peers, ancillary staff and surgery schedulers regarding issues important to meeting the needs of patients and surgeons (out for repair/broken equipment, under/over-estimated procedure lengths, anticipate
equipment/supply conflicts, etc.
• Function as a team member during times of stress and crisis situations; and
• Ask for help when you need it.
• Graduate of an approved school of nursing.
• Currently licensed in New Jersey,
• Basic life support required . Advanced life support preferred.
• High integrity and effort;
• A strong work ethic and competency;
• The knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served;
• A desire to learn from one another; flexibility ;
• A team attitude - recognition that everyone impacts performance;
• Direct and courteous communication;
• Sincere empathy and respect;
• A belief that by bringing hospitals, surgeons and employees together, we can make a difference in health care.
• Standing, walking , climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling;
• Maintaining varied body motions and positions for long periods of time.
• Occasional lifting; moving up to 100 pounds.
• Manual dexterity
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Criteria for Evaluation
• Performance Goals
• Physician Feedback
• Employee Feedback
Acceptance of Job Description:
I understand and accept this job description. I understand that it supersedes any previous job description. I further understand that future performance evaluations will be based in large part on my meeting the requirements of this job description. The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position. Each employee is part of the Surgery Center team and as such, may be asked to learn and perform other duties as required. I acknowledge being given a copy of this job description.