Home » Job Board » Michigan »
Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) - Full Time
Job Description: Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Laboratory Director
Job Summary: Analyzes samples of blood, tissue and body fluids to determine chemical content, cell count, drug levels or blood type; may also search for specific microorganisms like bacteria or parasites. Provides information for patient diagnosis and treatment by performing laboratory tests.
• Consistently uses an outward mindset and puts forth exemplary effort in accomplishing his/her goals and objectives in a manner that helps others to achieve their goals and objectives.
• Prepares reagents, QC, and calibrators from predetermined procedures for use in routine and special tests.
• Performs routine and safety program checks and preventative maintenance on instrumentation.
• Performs patient testing in all areas of the laboratory.
• Performs and reports QC and calibrations as required; recalibrates if necessary.
• Draws blood specimens from patients as required by the supervisor.
• Calls critical results per procedure.
• Performs other related duties as required or directed.
• Logs and processes specimens, keeps accurate records, prepares and transmits reports clearly and completely.
• Participates in proficiency testing.
• Assists lab aides and other hospital staff with testing information and collection criteria.
• Answers phones, relays information as needed in a courteous professional manner.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor or Associate’s Degree in Clinical Laboratory Sciences. ASCP or equivalent certified within six (6) months of hire desired.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Attention to detail and ability to follow instructions. Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedure manuals. Good communication skills. Must be self-motivated, detail oriented, able to work under pressure, and able to multitask. Proper use of phone etiquette is necessary. Skills for problem solving either individually or as part of a team. Phlebotomy experience preferred.
Working Conditions: Work with potentially infectious blood/body fluid and hazardous material in a controlled protective setting.
Physical Requirements: Constantly walk, see/visual acuity, handle/grasp/feel, talk/hear. Frequently stand. Occasionally lift/carry 25 to 49 lbs.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
For more information or to apply, contact:
Debbie Iobe| Employment Coordinator/Recruiter
Human Resources – Oaklawn
200 N Madison, Marshall, MI 49068
PH: (269)789-8988 Fax: (269) 789-4316