Search for a Job
Subscribe to receive eNewsletter
|Our weekly e-mail newsletter is distributed at no charge and includes current healthcare news plus the latest Job Postings.|
|Subscribe • View current eNewsletter|
Upload Your Resume
|Upload your resume and we will forward it to employers whose search criteria best matches your qualifications.|
Job Search Tips & Resources
Cambridge Health Alliance
Cambridge Health Alliance seeks a mission oriented Chief Development Officer to design and implement a comprehensive development plan to increase major donor and institutional support and strengthen the organization’s engagement with the local philanthropic community.
About Cambridge Health Alliance
Cambridge Health Alliance (CHA) is a nationally respected and innovative healthcare system that makes a positive difference in people's lives. Based in Cambridge, Somerville, and Boston's metro-north communities, CHA provides coordinated care to vulnerable and diverse patient populations guided by its core values of compassion, integrity, respect, community, learning, and excellence.
CHA was formed in 1996 when two Massachusetts hospitals – Cambridge Hospital and Somerville Hospital – joined together to better meet the needs of their patients and the community. In 2001, CHA acquired the former Whidden Memorial Hospital (now CHA Everett Hospital) and associated services in Malden and Revere which expanded their service area and increased their capacity to serve more patients in need. In addition to a full range of clinical services provided at CHA sites, patients have easy access to care at its clinical partners: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) and MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC).
As an academic leader, and the only system in the nation that is a teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and the Tufts University School of Medicine, CHA trains the next generation of health professionals within the realm of community health and primary care in the context of the diverse communities it serves. CHA also has a robust Department of Community Health Improvement, operates the nationally accredited Cambridge Public Health Department, and collaborates closely with local governments and nonprofits to improve access to healthcare and overall wellness.
CHA’s Vision Statement is “Equity and Excellence for Everyone, Every Time”. Many CHA patients have public or subsidized insurance (Medicare, Medicaid, etc.) and traditionally experience barriers to care. In order to serve these individuals and families, CHA has bilingual providers, a robust interpreter program, and an award-winning Volunteer Health Advisor program that brings together people from many cultures to help local residents gain access to care and live healthier lives.
Philanthropic support plays a vital role in CHA’s ability to provide top quality care to the communities it serves.
Impact and Philanthropy at Cambridge Health Alliance
The Cambridge Health Alliance Foundation was founded in 2001 to support the mission of CHA. Over the past five years, the Foundation has raised more than $9M. CHA’s senior leadership and trustees are championing an ambitious vision for the future, reflecting a strong commitment to fundraising and the imperative for philanthropy to finance critical care for the communities and people it serves. The leaders of CHA believe that the Cambridge/Somerville community and surrounding towns require and deserve quality local healthcare, and CHA plays an essential role in its delivery in the diverse neighborhoods it serves. There is a strong organizational commitment to building a more robust and impactful development program, and the new Chief Development Officer will be charged with establishing a systematized approach to donor identification, engagement, solicitation, and relationship management.
About the Position
The new Chief Development Officer (CDO) will serve on the senior leadership team of CHA and is a highly visible, externally facing role. The CDO will be responsible for increasing fundraising success, including the design and implementation of a comprehensive development plan to support the mission and strategic goals of CHA. The CDO will also sustain and elevate the philanthropic support of current donors and develop a network of new prospects, particularly influential individuals in the Cambridge/Somerville area and institutional prospects from the area’s biotech community and other area corporations who share CHA’s commitment to serving underserved and vulnerable people and families.
This position serves as the chief fundraising officer for CHA and its subsidiaries. The CDO will manage a team of three staff and will work closely with CHA President and CEO Assaad Sayah, MD, the Foundation Board, and clinical leadership to identify and engage prospects and solicit gifts.
Strategic Leadership and Management
• Oversee the operation and staff of CHA Foundation.
• Partner with staff and volunteer leadership to take CHA’s development program to the next level.
• Translate the organization’s vision into a compelling case for support that inspires donors, volunteers, physicians, staff, and the greater community to new and higher levels of philanthropy.
• Serve as a key member of CHA’s senior leadership team.
• Oversee the strengthening of the development infrastructure, including staff, systems and data, policies, and procedures.
• Track and report regular progress against strategic goals, including donor engagement and stewardship touchpoints, revenue, and pipeline management details.
• As appropriate, determine the need for and recruit talented professionals to join the foundation team.
• Play a lead role in Foundation board stewardship and development.
Enhance the CHA Foundation’s visibility as a destination for philanthropic funding.
Develop fundraising strategies supporting CHA’s strategic priorities including population health, facilities development, academics, and clinical programs.
• Work with board members, physicians, volunteers, and other members of the community to help identify potential donors.
• Support the CHA Foundation board as it increases its focus on philanthropy and activating community support.
• Design, implement and oversee a comprehensive, proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing high net worth and institutional relationships and building new strategic partnerships.
• In addition to a strong focus on major gifts, oversee a sustainable fundraising program that includes annual giving, planned gifts, corporate and foundation support, and special events.
• Build and cultivate a robust portfolio of current and prospective donors.
• Set goals, objectives, and plans to implement strategies for cultivation and solicitation that will lead to closing gifts.
• Research opportunities for funding sources such as grants, donors, sponsors, etc. and pursue any potential prospects.
• Identify emerging trends and opportunities in philanthropy that are relevant to the mission and programs of CHA.
• Develop a strong donor pipeline that focuses on donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
• Work effectively and collaboratively with the CFO and marketing team to ensure development activities are well coordinated and supportive of CHA priorities.
• Passion for the mission and values of Cambridge Heath Alliance
• Ability to authentically engage and inspire others as a senior representative of the institution
• 10+ years of frontline major gift experience with demonstrated ability to grow a donor prospect base and successfully close five, six, and seven figure gifts
• Capital campaign experience
• Broad knowledge of all functional areas of fundraising (major, planned, and annual giving; corporate and foundation giving; communications/marketing; research; stewardship; development operations)
• Experience building and sustaining relationships with high-net-worth individuals and targeted foundations/corporations
• Success supporting and managing organizational leadership in donor cultivation and solicitation
• Ability to conceptualize and describe funding needs in a way that is compelling to prospects, donors, board members, and other stakeholders
• Knowledge of communications and marketing with excellent communication skills
• Experience in a healthcare institution is a plus
- Proactive leader with an established track record of increasing philanthropic revenue from diverse constituencies
- Progressive experience in successful development programs and knowledge of “best practices” in development
- Team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation
- Experience as an effective member of a senior leadership team with excellent interpersonal relationship building skills
- A management style that is visible, accountable, analytical, and service focused. Should be both a strategic thinker and doer with a style which is self-directed and results-oriented; possess an approachable and compassionate demeanor
- Demonstrated team builder and developer of people
- Familiarity with Cambridge Health Alliance’s primary service area is preferred
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, gender, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, relationship identity or relationship structure, gender identity or expression, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: [email protected]
For more information, please visit www.developmentguild.com.
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT, PRINCIPAL
Development Guild DDI
For more information about Cambridge Health Alliance, please visit www.challiance.org